Wednesday 11 April 2012

A test form

I've been playing around with new shapes on the wheel, and tried to throw a sort of pine-cone form off the hump.


I guess one might call it "egg-shaped " too, but then that word "egg" covers multitude of possible forms. Originally, this was going to be a little mustard pot, but then I cut out the lid wonkily so I stuck it back together. I'm just keeping it as a reminder of the form, and since then I've made a few lidded pieces like this, one of which I smashed yesterday.

This morning I turned it upside down, and was struck by how much it looked like a human head.



Not an earth-shattering discovery, but maybe I could make a similar one as a sculpture. Just need to figure out a way to make it stand upright on the pointy end..maybe a plinth with a hollow in the middle could work..or a steel support with a ring for it to sit in..

2 comments:

  1. It does look like a human head. It reminds me of a head that ceramic/wood sculptor Robert Brady did out of earth and straw. It was a wall piece and although, eerie, it seem serene at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlene, I've just been looking at some of Robert Brady's pieces..very interesting work! Maybe I could make one of these as a wall piece, by flattening the back slightly..

      Delete