Friday 16 March 2012

Simple modes of expression

Inspired by African funerary jars of the Bura asinda people, I started making some small sculptures which could also be used as cups if you turn them upside down. I'm not sure why I enjoy making them but I think it has something to do with the uncertainty of the outcome. The decoration is unconscious to a great extent..I don't set out with an intention to create an expression or character for each piece, they just seem to emerge of their own volition. It's the same with the African vessels; the modes of expression are very simple and straightforward but the elements come together to express something more, something which is difficult to define but which is innately human and alive.

Head cup, approx 2 inches tall

Head cup (other side)

Head-cup, approx 2.5 inches tall

It's taking me a while to get around to glazing these..I still have another five or six of them lying unglazed in the studio. I haven't put glaze on the inside as they need to stand this way up in the kiln. I was thinking I might dip some of them fully in shino and then fire them on their heads on shells..the shell marks might add interest to the design. Also, I've made a couple with three horns, which will act as feet for the cup and allow me to stand it upside down and almost fully glazed in the kiln.

The one in the last photo above was glazed with a simple Nami-jiro glaze which consists of 50/50 ball clay and wood ash with a little kaolin added. I'll probably re-glaze this piece as I'm not overly keen on the lighter coloured drips that formed. I'll maybe brush over it with my matt ochre-ash glaze.

6 comments:

  1. These are great. The natural finish suits them so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Sam.

      Delete
    2. They are really nice ! Love their expressions. First one is like god Janus, god of beginnings and transitions in Roman religion. He has two faces !

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, nice to hear that you like these. I'm looking forward to glazing the others :)

      Delete
  2. I liked all your pieces and your small videos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed looking at them.

      Delete