Sunday 1 July 2012

Oribe, oribe, oribe.

Here are a few pieces from my latest firing on Friday June 29th, which mainly contained oribe-glazed pots. I was pleased with the matte orange colours I achieved on a few of them, which complements the green glaze nicely. I wasn't so happy with the number of craters and pinholes on the larger pots (not shown here)...they were fired to cone 9 with a half hour soak and I suspect the the top half of the kiln developed some severe hot spots. Most of the pots on the bottom shelf were perfectly fine.

Perhaps cone 9 is the temperature at which bubbles form, as this glaze has worked very well at cone 8 and cone 10 in the past..or maybe the soak was too long and the kiln over-fired..hard to know. I'm thinking that the soak must have raised the temperature considerably. The cone was bent half way over before the soak, and after the soak it had completely slumped flat, so there was alot of extra heat work applied. I'll refire some of the pieces at cone 8 and see if that cures the problem.


Bottle-vase, approx 4 inches tall

Mug, mapprox 3.5 inches tall

Vase, approx 6 inches tall

Cup, approx 4 inches tall

Glaze run on cup above

Miniature vase, 2 inches tall

Vase with ash glaze, approx 3 inches tall

6 comments:

  1. Love the cup and the ash glazed last one. The oribe turned out great. What is the orange color on the bottom of the two pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Linda, thank you. The orange is a slip made with ball clay, orange stain and a little r.i.o..i hope I can make it again but unfortunately didn't weight out the ingredients exactly..

      Delete
  2. I think that color is great, I hope you can make it again too. Might be good just by itself on a pot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..I still have a little left before i need to remake it. Yes, I'll try that..and I was thinking it might be intersting as a wood-firing slip too.

      Delete
  3. I love what you get from this technique...particularly the colours and shapes in the first one, very sleek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Zanna, very nice to read your comment, thank you! They're inspired by the simple designs of Japanese oribe ware.

      Delete